It’s Apple Pickin’ Time! So what are you going to do with all those Apples???? How about this tasty treat!
• 1 recipe Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (see below)
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans
• 1/4 cup caramel ice-cream topping
1. Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
2. For Crumb Topping, stir together brown sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and the oats. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl stir together the granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, the cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle Crumb Topping over apple mixture.
4. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Remove from oven; sprinkle pie with pecans, then drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie: In a bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Using 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water at a time over the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all of the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
• Calories554, Total Fat (g)25, Saturated Fat (g)10, Cholesterol (mg)31, Sodium (mg)260, Carbohydrate (g)81, Fiber (g)3, Protein (g)5, Vitamin A (DV%)11, Vitamin C (DV%)6, Calcium (DV%)3, Iron (DV%)15, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet