red velvet cupcakes
•3/4 cup butter
•3 cups all-purpose flour
•2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
•2-1/4 cups sugar
•1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
•1 1-oz. bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
•1-1/2 cups buttermilk
•1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
•1-1/2 tsp. vinegar
•Small chocolate heart-shaped cookies (optional)
• Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 2-1/2-inch cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium sped after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Top with small chocolate cookies, if desired. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 28 servings.
•Calories 172, Total Fat (g)6, Saturated Fat (g)3, Monounsaturated Fat (g)2, Cholesterol (mg)36, Sodium (mg)124, Carbohydrate (g)28, Total Sugar (g)17, Protein (g)3, Calcium (DV%)2, Iron (DV%)4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet