This is a great recipe if you don’t want to bother with the grill on the 4th of July, just throw in the slow cooker and spend your day enjoying the party!
Makes: 8 sandwiches
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 2 hours
Stand: 10 minutes
1. 2-1/2- to 3-lb. boneless pork sirloin, shoulder, or butt roast
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
4 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
8 rolls or buns, split
Fresh parsley leaves (optional)
Green tomato wedges (optional)
1. Trim fat from pork. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven over medium heat brown pork in hot oil on all sides. Add half the strawberries, the ketchup, vinegar, garlic, rosemary, and several dashes hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 2 hours or until pork is tender. Remove pork from Dutch oven; loosely cover with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. For strawberry BBQ sauce, skim fat from cooking liquid. Return liquid to Dutch oven; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups.
3. Using two forks, shred pork; discard fat. Stir 1 cup strawberry BBQ sauce into pork. Stir remaining strawberries into BBQ sauce.
4. Serve pork on buns. Top with additional sauce and parsley. Pass remaining sauce. Serve with tomato wedges. Makes 8 sandwiches.
Servings Per Recipe 8 sandwiches Calories359 Total Fat (g)10 Saturated Fat (g)3, Monounsaturated Fat (g)4, Polyunsaturated Fat (g)3, Cholesterol (mg)89, Sodium (mg)738, Carbohydrate (g)31, Total Sugar (g)10, Fiber (g)3, Protein (g)35, Vitamin C (DV%)77, Calcium (DV%)10, Iron (DV%)18, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet